Monday 2 July 2007

Norwich Castle with its glass-fronted lift



Good news for William the Conqueror! The Castle he built in Norwich can be reached via a glass-fronted lift from the street level in the Castle Gardens!

We
believe that castles were built to hold down conquered territory. We also believe the stone keep castles were built as the ultimate sign of William's power over the English.

The conquered Saxons were forced to raise a mound, some twenty metres high. About 1100 when the mound had settled, masons began to built the stone keep.
And again we believe that building on a raised mound gave them the great advantage of visibility.

But you can never know... Maybe William [and I mean
William the Conqueror, or William the Bastard :)) ] had this glass-fronted lift in mind when he raised the mound :))

In this case there is no news for him! It's news for us as we find out that castles were built on raised mounds, so we can later enjoy lovely lifts like this one!

3 comments:

Fyurien said...

Oooo ugly!

Its like the glass pyramid in the middle of the Louvre. Modern stupidity screwing with antiquity.

But hey, it seems pretty darn convenient. I'm sure the Japanese tourists will be quite pleased. =P

Di said...

Hehehe, I had the same thought ;)

I fact it is not that big, I took the photo for contrast's sake :))

Fyurien said...

Well the photo convinced me that I dont like it, despite never having actually seen it.

I love antiquity so much and cant imagine who though this was a good idea. Reminds me a lot of Germany actually. Though at least they were bombed literally to pieces and so modern structures are not completely unreasonable.