Wednesday 11 July 2007

The Comedy of Romeo and Juliet - 2

The second example in support of my argument:

Romeo:Pardon, good Mercutio, my business was great, and in such a case as mine a man may strain courtesy.
Mercutio:That's as much as to say, such a case as yours constrains a man to bow in the hams.
Romeo: Meaning "to curtsy"?
Mercutio: Thou hast most kindly hit it.
Romeo: A most courteous exposition.
Mercutio: Nay, I am the very pink of courtesy.
Romeo: Pink for flower
Mercutio: Right.

Which translates :))

Romeo: Excuse me good Mercutio. I had very important business to take care of. It was so important that I had to forget about courtesy and good manners.
Mercutio: In other words "important business" made you flex your buttocks.
Romeo:You mean do a curtsy?
Mercutio: You've hit the target, sir.
Romeo: That's a very polite and courteous explanation.
Mercutio: Yes, I am the pink flower, the master of courtesy and manners.
Romeo: The Pink flower
Mercutio: Right.

I know that Mercutio loves wordplay, especially sexual double entendres, but I am not sure I understand much. Can anyone be more specific? :))))

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL @ THE PINK FLOWER

Adam said...

yeah, it sounds like a conversation that two guys would have- filled with double meanings.

PS, its interesting how you make smilee faces like this :))

Di said...

that's a smile :)
that's a laugh :))

I do laugh a lot, a smile :) wasn't enough for me :))

Adam said...

ah. :))

Fyurien said...

Ohh dear god that hilarious.

"In other words "important business" made you flex your buttocks."

Ohh I think I'm going to cry. I seriously work with people that seem to have their buttocks flexed all the time.

=)

Di said...

Hahahaha, you should call the people you work with: "important businessmen"!

There are a few more extremely hilarious passages; slang and sexual double meaning involved... I might gather up the courage to actually post some one day :)

I just cannot see Romeo and Juliet as a tragedy. Sorry about that.

Juliet took a drug to make her look dead but she would wake up in 42 hours; as women never lie nor deceive, Romeo thought she was dead. So he drank the poison in suicide and then a few minutes later she woke up found him dead.

Hahahaha, I know I was supposed to be sad, but I just couldn't stop laughing!

Anonymous said...

"constrains a man to bow in the hams" = limits/afflicts a man in bowing the backs of his thighs/knees (your "great business" was sexual, and your thighs/knees are weary from it)