Thursday 9 August 2007

The Wishing Steps



Yesterday I turned 28. I remembered I made a wish while standing on these "Wishing Steps". It is supposed to come true.

Buckfastleigh is a small market town in Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor. The name Buckfastleigh contains half the letters of the alphabet, none of which are repeated ;) On the top of the hill above the town is the ruined Holy Trinity Church.

There are 196 steps up to the ruins of the 13th century church. Among these are the Wishing Steps. The stones of these two steps are laid in the opposite direction from the others and it is said a secret wish made standing here will come true!

I missed the two "Wishing Steps" on my way up to the ruins, but I found them on my way back. Better late than never!

I like to believe it means: "Don’t be scared at the delay, the time we wish is near"

As I have already said: They'll come true, IMPOSSIBLE NOT TO do...

7 comments:

Etherealm said...

The legend says if you manage to run up and down these steps, without drawing breath, then your wish is sure to come true. Did you ?

Etherealm said...

There are many other wishing steps like the ones in Blarney (Ireland) ... different steps, different legend :

You must stand on a certain one of the middle steps and walk up the steps with your eyes closed ... backwards :D

Adam said...

mmm. so idyllic. its looks like walking through a fairy tale.

Di said...

No, I didn't! But I am sure you'd love to see me running up and down the steps or walking backwards with my eyes closed :))

Ann @TheAssetEdge said...

Happy Birthday!

Your pictures are beautiful - you have quite an eye for photography!

ann :)

Di said...

Thank you and thank you again!

Di said...

I look back and I think I should have wished for more... I guess I was afraid...