Thursday 30 August 2007

Dracula's Castle



I've been asked the Dracula questions recently, so I'll post a few pictures I took in January and I will write a few things about Dracula and his castle. :)

Bram Stoker used Bran Castle as his model for Dracula's Castle. This was featured in multiple film adaptations of Dracula, and has informally become known as Dracula's Castle.

The Count Dracula character was supposedly based in part on the real-life Vlad the Impaler. But Vlad's castle was the one at Poienari in Wallachia, not in Transylvania.

Sorry to disappoint you, but Dracula's Castle (in Stoker's novel) is not the real Dracula's Castle!

He he, I promise I will disappoint you even more in the next few days, as I'll write more...

9 comments:

Adam said...

ooo, that is one mother of a scary looking castle. its kind of chilling.

(vlad the impaler, by the way, was a freak. just insane).

I tried this wine from Transylvania once, called "Dracula"... It was a really bad wine. I guess the grapes don't grow so well in the presence of eeeeevil (mwah ha ha).

Di said...

Hahaha, I know the wine you're talking about. It's a really bad wine, I think it's more like a souvenir and you're supposed to keep the bottle and not drink it! :))

Etherealm said...

... and the dracula's birthplace is in Sighisoara, a place where by the end of every August ( as I can remember ) there's a medieval art festival I used to attend :) . It used to be a very nice festival years ago but ,unfortunately, it has been turned more into a rockers festival. Despite the fact that i like rock music ... it is not appropiate.
Anyway it seems things have started to change again ...

Di said...

You guessed what I wanted to write next! "Casa Vlad Dracul" (Vlad's birth house) in Sighisoara!!!!!

I'll write about his life, about his death, about Vlad the Impaler as a hero and Vlad a psychopathic tyrant; about Romanian folk tales and historical legends related to him, hahahaha, and you Mr. Etherealm, you can give a hand!

Di said...

Hahaha, do you know the life-sized model of Vlad where tourists are invited to have their "bloody photo taken" ??

:)) That's a laugh! :))

Etherealm said...

I apologize I've stolen the pleasure of mentioning D's birthplace from you :P

Mira said...

Iauzi,dragutico,intreaba al meu sot cu ce aparat ai facut fotografiile? Dani zice:A inceput sa-ti placa si tie imaginea?Sa fii fost pasionata si nu aratai?Cand mai vii in Romania bagam o sedinta foto impreuna sa-ti vedem puterile!

Di said...

Eh, a inceput sa-mi placa imaginea din cauza de singuratati multeee; chiar mi-a fost companie placuta! Cum am mai zis, habar n-am ce fac, da'mi place si tare as face o excursie la munte cu voi in decembrieeee.... hai s-o planuim!

Asian Games Web said...

I've been asked the Dracula question so many times!