Tuesday 21 August 2007

The Dancing Giants




When I was a child there was only one TV channel in Romania. We only had a few hours of programming a day. But on Saturdays there was "Teleenciclopedia", a documentary program I used to love watching (it's still on!). Among other documentaries on various subjects I saw one about Stonehenge. You might think I dreamed about actually going to see it. No, I didn't.

It was only years later that I started to think about the possibility of ever seeing it. And I saw it on Sunday. I am happy I remembered to say "Thank You", as I don't say it up-to-date enough...

I enjoyed Sunday, I actually saw one of the most famous ruins in the world. Somebody up there loves me!

Scientists believe they have finally discovered the answers to many of Stonehenge's mysteries, such as how, why, and by whom it was built... but I do love dreaming, so forget about the scientists: :)

The legend has it that one day the giants were dancing and circling around on the Salisbury plain. Suddenly they were caught in a beam of sunlight and transformed into stones. Their arms were around each other and that's why the megaliths we see today resemble the shape of giants holding hands.

4 comments:

Adam said...

Ah, you keep a very intriguing journal, i must say.

growing up in Romania? hmm. I would love to hear more of this interesting story.

I grew up in British Columbia, beside the ocean. Three surrounding islands kept the water beside Nanaimo pretty still(a small piece of my story to inspire you).

Di said...

Thanks, Adam.

I might gather up some courage to write more. Anyway, It starts to become more personal...

The small piece of your story sounds great!

* shaina * * said...

ooh i like your imagination! i never really accept scientific explanations for things--i prefer magic.

Di said...

I do prefer legends and myths to scientific explanations; they're far more charming!