Tuesday 12 June 2007

The Nutshell - the smallest pub in Britain




On Saturday I had a beer at Britain's smallest pub, The Nutshell in Bury St Edmunds.
It is a timber framed Grade II listed building dating from 1670 and it measures 4.5m x 3.7m. Paper money is stuck to the ceiling. There are a mummified cat and a mummified mouse (I guess) hanging from the ceiling. I can see see an explanation of why the cat is there, as in East Anglia they used to mummify cats and place them in the walls to ward off evil spirits... What about the mouse? Is it just for "Tom and Jerry"'s sake? :))

I think there should have been placed a note to say:
"Do not go to the loo unless you are sober enough!" as the staircase seemed very steep and narrow.




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The mouse may be a rat.

Di said...

I think a closer look at it (let's say twice a week, hahahaha) might help....

Anonymous said...

What no new blog today?
How long do we have to wait.

Di said...

Apologies for my recent silence and thanks for your comments ;)

Asian Games Web said...

The banknotes ceiling sounds like an interesting idea. I wonder if there are any Romanian or Thai paper money stuck onto that ceiling.

Di said...

No Romanian paper money YET [as I may think of making a donation :)]; no idea about Thai ones, but that's another reason to go and have another pint...oops! another look, I mean!

The Poor Blogger said...

I think they found the cat when they were renovating, so perhaps they just found the rat too.

David McCormick said...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A751709 - I say we check 'em all out.

Di said...

Check 'em all out!
Check 'em all out!
Check 'em all out!

I had a few in mind, but this sounds even better!!!

Di said...

In fact... I've just noticed the category: "Life / Food & Drink / Alcohol".

I am not coming! I don't do "Life / Food & Drink / Alcohol"

hahahahahaha!