Saturday 9 June 2007

In Love with Shakespeare in Love


I saw Shakespeare in Love. Again. I loved it. Again!

I laughed when I saw the mug on Will's writing desk... just a souvenir from Stratford-upon-Avon:))

I bit my nails when I saw a Shakespeare play burning in the fire, but I laughed later when I heard the movie's director commentary. He said he imagined the Shakespeare scholars biting their nails thinking of an unknown play while watching the manuscript going up in smoke. I wonder if he did this on purpose...

I loved the way the sonnet that Will had written for Viola began:
"Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?", I hoped for a few more lines and I hoped for the ending couplet:
"So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee."

Even though the film is fictional, even if Viola wasn't Will's muse for Romeo and Juliet (as the play is a dramatisation of an Arthur Brooke's poem, which is a translation of an adaptation .... and so on...) I really really enjoyed it!

No comments: