Sunday 24 June 2007

Designs on the Loo








Today I saw Norwich Castle . I won't bore you with stories about Norman archways, about a 900 year old spiral staircase, about graffiti made by the prisoners, or about collections of Anglo-Saxon treasures.
I'll tell you something interesting about this castle:

In the Ladies' loos, decorated teapots refer to "thieves" and to Norfolk prisoners , deported to Australia, "down under" , for their crimes...

I haven't had the chance to see myself, but I've heard that the inventor of sailors' life-saving equipment, Captain Manby of Great Yarmouth, is commemorated in the Gents' loos. So too is Charles Dickens who was inspired by the town to write David Copperfield.

Great sense of place!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don’t know of a connection between teapot and thief, but people will refer to a thief as a tea leaf!

Di said...

Hehehe, you're right
Rhyming slang for "thief" is "tea leaf"! Thank you!