Wednesday 21 November 2007

Hearing Sounds


I am a bit confused. No wonder :)

In my language a frog goes oac!; in English it goes croak!, but if you're from North America it'll go ribbit! Not to mention that in Ancient Greek it used to go brekekekex koax koax! :)) And I am sure that if I ask, you will come up with different answers.

I didn't know frogs can speak so many foreign languages !! :)) There is an explanation: species of frog found in another area may make another noise. Oooook, let's say I believe this. What about the dogs then?

In my language dogs go ham! In English, you all know, they go woof-woof! All the dog breeds, not just one... The sound a dog makes is ouah-ouah in French, gaf-gaf in Russian, wau-wau in German, ..., ..., .. and even meong meong in Korean :))

I remember hearing dogs in different countries... I am sure they made the same sounds. I thought at least the onomatopoeic words should be universal because they imitate the sound they describe. Why do we hear these sounds differently?

3 comments:

David said...

Man captured by Nymphs. Hows your greek mythology? I'm hooked. Love your blog! Finally something fresh, different and entertaining.
David

Di said...

Thanks for your visit and for your nice words!
I like to believe my Greek mythology is pretty good ;)

gemma said...

where i come from, frogs go kokak and dogs go aw-aw hehehe!