Friday 8 February 2008

Byron in Cambridge

Whilst a student at Cambridge, Byron was annoyed with the university rules that banned keeping a dog. This is how he decided to have a tame bear instead. There being no mention of bears in their statutes, the college authorities had no legal basis to complain. Later, in one of his letters, Byron cheekily suggested that the bear apply for a college fellowship. :))

He was very fond of animals; his dog
has a funeral monument larger than his master's. The inscription on this monument became Byron's "Epitaph to a dog":
"...one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferosity,
and all the Virtues of Man without his Vices."
I am reading Byron's Don Juan and I have some news for you. Remember old Don Juan? The womaniser that we all know? He's long gone... and now we have the new Don Juan, a simple and naive young man easily seduced by terrible women! And I can't help but feeling sorry for him. :))

My advice: stay out of Byron's way and do not believe a word he says; he is indeed "mad, bad, and dangerous to know" as I have heard.

7 comments:

Adam said...

di, my infrequently writing friend...

Does it snow in cambridge? (lame question). I think seeing that building, that field, covered in snow would be beautiful indeed. like that scene in "dead poets society".

Di said...

It rarely snows (1 or 2 days a year), but not this year though :)) There are everywhere postcards of Cambridge covered in snow... because it is, as you say, beautiful...

I haven't seen "dead poets society" yet, but I will very soon!

Asian Games Web said...

It never snows HERE!

Felipe said...

I've been to Cambridge a couple of weeks ago (en route to Duxford), and I have to tell you that even if it does not snow, it feels cold as hell. It surprises me that it does not snow there. Anyway, I got to set some more time aside to visit the city properly.

Stuart Frew said...

I live a few minutes away from Byron's former home, Newstead Abbey. The grave of his faithful Newfoundlander dog, 'Bosun' with that epitaph sits behind the abbey still.

Byron certainly displayed some bizarre behaviour when at Newstead. Walls of the main reception hall still show pock marks where he used it for indoor shooting practice!

He further lived in nearby Southwell and is buried locally at Hucknall. A member of my family was one of a small group to have seen his body when it was exhumed there in 1938.

People often quote his mad and lecherous behaviour but he was reportedly also an inordinately kind man who would often help those less fortunate than he.

A little local history including Byron here if you're interested:

http://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/
2007/09/23/one-walk-and
-two-churches-2/

Di said...

Thanks for the link Stuart, I am indeed very interested. Newstead Abbey is a must!

Stuart Frew said...

I go there all the time, Di. It is a beautiful place. There are lakes, waterfalls, Japanese and Victorian gardens etc.

Much of the original abbey is missing now but the important (Byron, some would argue!) bit is still intact. His bedroom and a small chapel etc.

It's long been a 'playground' for me and I still use it for walking and running through from the free entrances I know of ;-) (little country paths).

The gateway that Byron approached as a young crippled child with his mother in a stagecoach is still there. It's said that as he came that time to claim his inheritance the gatemen ridiculed him and this had a very profound effect upon him.

No wonder he went out to enjoy himself to the max when he grew older!

PS. I'm really enjoying your site and would like to add it to my blogroll!