Wednesday 12 September 2007

Which came first, the prose or the poetry?



I assumed that prose was older than poetry. But today I learned that poetry is almost certainly a more primitive and historically an earlier development that prose.

It makes sense when we think more carefully about it. Poetry arises (when writing was not yet practised) not only because it is easier to remember and hand on, but because it helps the people with their common rituals. Poetry is thus linked to magic...

Prose arises later as science gradually supersedes magic. And prose is said to be a more sophisticated use of language than primitive poetry because it presupposes a more objective, conscious view of reality. :))

I assumed wrong. I should have known it: poetry is magic!

From my sphere hardly I come to
Follow thy voice, thy sight;
The bright sun is my father and
My mother is the night.

6 comments:

The Poor Blogger said...

Poetry is inextricably linked with religion and devotion in early societies. For instance, the the "Enuma Elish" (a Mesopotamian creation story in poetic form) was recited every new year in Babylon. In Norse mythology, there is quite a bit of wheeling, dealing and killing over the mead of poetry (made from the blood of the most wise of Gods). It was the way to remember important things.

D-HOR said...

Shakspere-Bacon's Cipher

I doubt it not--then more, far more;
Ineach old song bequeath'd-in every noble page or text,
(Different--something unreck'd before-some unsuspected author,)
In every object, mountain, tree, and star--in every birth and life,
As part of each--evolv'd from each--meaning, behind the ostent,
A mystic cipher waits infolded.

I really enjoy this site. I don't always feel inteligent enough to comment :), but you bring out the best in people.

Fyurien said...

One day more or one day less,
Least I be without caress.
Least I be without your kiss,
Your touch and warmth that I so miss.

Closer still and yet so far,
In my sight as a distant star.
Is your touch, your warmth, your kiss,
The mere thought of you I miss.

Hope you like =). I'm not much for poetry nor prose or any of the like. But I do love writing and all the more while in love. I wrote that for... well her name is not important. She is 'My Love'.

Fyurien said...

Ohh and SHHHHH!! Dont tell anyone, but I think I will continue on with the blog in a couple of months. =)

Ciao

Di said...

Thank you all for reading!

Lindy, if I FEEL intelligent enough to write :)), you're intelligent enough to comment! I should follow your good example and say thank you to everyone who took the time to stop by and post a comment.

Fyurien, good news! I'm glad you'll be back!

Anonymous said...

Hey am quite interested in your findings. have you got any reference that led to your conclusion that poetry comes first? thanks heaps!